It’s a sappho-riffic episode of Anime World Order this week as Clarissa reviews Maria-sama ga Miteru, Daryl kicks SCIENCE~! like no one else can by talking about the Often Overlooked Ippatsu Kikimusume (in clear defiance of the episode’s yuri theme), and Gerald reviews the hentai title Another Lady Innocent.
Introduction (0:00 – 23:57)
We respond to listener mail, voice mail, and finally play back an MP3 message sent to us like, a month ago. I’ll go into more detail later.
- Anime Central
- Anime HELL – also the home of Midnight Madness, Ryan Gavigan’s fan parody dub bonanza. I was going to link to the Magnum Opus Productions page, but it no longer exists.
- The pictures Lily took proving that there are in fact anime conventions in London: Photo 1 Photo 2
Let’s News! (23:57 – 38:30)
This week we take a look at the tragedy of Manga Entertainment losing the rights to such CLASSY works as Orguss 02, Red Hawk (which is not anime, but Korean) and one of Daryl’s FAVORITE shows, Angel Cop. We are all convinced it’s a Jewish conspiracy! We also rip apart Tokyopop’s (REPEATED) attempt at calling work that’s not by or for a Japanese audience “manga” by renaming their entire line of “non-manga” “global manga.” We also take a look at the story of some of the lost works of Osamu Tezuka that were recently discovered, in America no less!
- The Anime News Network thread Daryl posted a few times in
- A good example of the work of Ryoichi Ikegami – now let’s see an English “manga” creator copy that style
- Frederik Schodt’s Manga Manga: The World of Japanese Comics – even though this was written over 20 years ago, it’s still considered one of the definitive English language books about Japanese comicbooks
- Viz’s official Phoenix Website – the “life work” of Osamu Tezuka, so much so that he wasn’t able to finish it before his death
- ANN’s entry for Phoenix 2772 – this was released in English as Space Firebird from Best Film and Video a long time ago which is how Gerald originally saw it
Promo: Weekly Anime Review (38:30 – 39:03)
Aaron is now ranked 4th out of all of the thousands of podcasts listed on Podcast Pickle. By all means, aid him in his quest to unseat Josh in Japan from the number one spot! We did!
Review: Maria-sama ga Miteru (39:03 – 55:40)
Daryl doesn’t need Clarissa to fill out the notes for this section, since he is perfectly capable of doiZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, oh man this freaking show [Clarissa: Guess he does need help with it after all! Have some links!]
- ANN entry for MariMite
- Lililicious, the group that fansubbed MariMite season 1 and is scanlating the manga
- Fan translation for MariMite novel #1
- Fan translation for MariMite novel #12 (picks up right after anime season 2)
- Okazu – blog of Yuricon and ALC Publishing founder, Erica Friedman. She posts a lot of MariMite material, including novel summaries
- “Women Loving Women in Modern Japan” by Erin Subramian – this essay contains some discussion and description of “class S” relationships as mentioned in the review
- MariMite Phoenix Wright style doujin game – the existence of this game makes me very happy. Some of the other MariMite doujin games we mentioned can be found torrented on Deadfrog, but they’re old torrents and don’t seem to have any seeders.
Promo: Ninja Consultant (55:40 – 56:39)
Erin sent us Ninja Consultant T-shirts, pins, and the middle two volumes of Fierce Ryuusei by Tetsuo Hara. Daryl is just DYING to know what happens in the beginning and end. The Kenshiro dude PUNCHES A KATANA to deflect it! And not from the side like some nancy boy either; the BLADE, baby!
Often Overlooked: Ippatsu Kikimusume aka “Miss Critical Moment” (56:39 – 1:09:33)
Daryl flies in the face of the stated theme of this episode by reviewing one of the greatest triumphs of the Japanese thoughtbrain collective. The less said here, the better, but everyone had better go watch all of this. It won’t even take you an hour. CRITICAL RESULT: HAPPY!
- Tracker page for Elite-Fansubs – there is only one remaining active torrent and that’s the Ippatsu Kikimusume one, so download it even if you’re on dialup!
- A picture of someone that doesn’t know about SCIENCE~! who could benefit greatly from watching this show in its entirety – this person listens to the podcast and is sending Daryl IMs in protest as this is being written; said protests are actually what reminded him to put this note here despite including a note to himself in the show notes
Hentai Review: Another Lady Innocent (1:09:33 – 1:25:04)
Gerald takes a look at Another Lady Innocent aka. Front Innocent, which looks better than probably any hentai deserves to. While we always have the “Explicit” tag on our episodes on iTunes, this goes double for this section, and NONE OF THE LINKS BELOW SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WORK SAFE.
- The Happy House of Hentai podcast — what kind of happy house of hentai doesn’t have a freaking BOAT with a rudder to tie people to for the purposes of spin-tercourse?!
- ANN’s page on Front Innocent/Another Lady Innocent
- MoonRock’s Official site on Front Innocent
- The (COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO NAVIGATE) site for Kitty Media, the company that released Front Innocent/Another Lady Innocent over here; good luck if you can figure out how to actually FIND the show on their site
- The cover for this show. Every cel of that show looks as good as that cover. Kind of makes you wonder what the guy could do if he didn’t spend his time on outright porn (on wait he did, it was called Legend of Lemnear and Plastic Little, err, stick to the porn)
Closing (1:25:04 – 1:31:33)
Next week ain’t gonna be pretty, folks. Clarissa’s going to review Ouran High School Host Club, (which actually I guess might count as pretty), Gerald will tell us about Honneamise’s limited edition Patlabor Movie 1 box set which we’ve been talking about since Show # 1, and Daryl is going to be reviewing the first three episodes of…Karas. Also, Daryl’s got a spare limited edition Patlabor Movie 1 box that he won courtesy of Anime on DVD, so he might try and give that away somehow. Of course, he’s still got no clue as to how he’d actually go about doing that. You can’t just randomly give such a thing away, after all!