Podcast: Download (Duration: 1:26:19 — 39.5MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
After missing an entire month, we have returned. It seemed only fitting that after being that late on an episode, Clarissa review a series that’s entirely about doing precisely that: the recently concluded Shirobako.
Introduction (0:00 – 48:20)
It’s May, so to prove how timely we are we respond to not one but TWO emails sent to us in May…2014. One has to do with everyone’s favorite least favorite topic, bad anime for group viewing purposes. But the landscape has changed between when we first started this podcast NINE YEARS AGO and today. What’s the deal with Americans in anime (F YEAH!)? And why’s it so hard to represent anime online without coming across as a freak, anyway? Why doesn’t anime seem to be truly integrated into the modern geek monoculture? The answer requires we don glasses and start drawing incomprehensible flowcharts on a chalkboard. At some point we recount our times at Florida Anime Experience 2015 as well as Clarissa’s guest appearance on the Pseudo-Random Podcast for anime/manga. Actually, her episode isn’t out just yet. BUT SOMEDAY.
- Here’s a 90 minute video of the Anime Podcast Summit at FAE 2015, as recorded by the mega-popular Anime America Podcast. Also features the Anime Addicts Anonymous Podcast, the Ass Backwards Anime Podcast, Gundamn! Anime Podcast, The A3K Network, and Blackstar Anime. Oh, and we’re there too, but we’re audio people in an era of video. Find out who everybody considers a god-tier waifu and perhaps even who’s a trash garbage-tier waifu!
- The Adventures of Butthurt Anime Fan is the most accurate depiction of the state of American anime fandom in 2015, and a lot of people can’t handle that…MILADY
- Otaku USA Magazine Spring 2015 Discount – $14 for a one-year subscription, available in either print or digital, for those who want to read our reviews of things that are generally more current than what we talk about on the podcast
Review: Shirobako (48:20 – 1:26:19)
It’s anime about making anime, only this time nobody’s being bloodily murdered at their desk and the mad automotive races to the studio contain sick drifts instead of Shonen Bat. GO EAT KRISPY KREMES, YOU KRISPY KREME MOTHERFUCKERS.
- Watch Shirobako on Crunchyroll – that’s the legal option if you’re in the US
- Shirobako’s Glossary
- Shirobako’s Real-Life Counterparts – this is a partial set, there are more
We don’t know what the next episode will be about, but it will definitely NOT be about R*botech. The less we talk about that, the better a chance it can cease to exist. Warner Brothers is already helping us along in this aspect, as the official website has been offline for the last three weeks. THANKS, WARNER BROTHERS! PS: go see Mad Max: Fury Road also known as Doomsday 2: Fury Road, which is shaping up to be one of this year’s “Daryl Surat genre” films.