We’re back to the “regular” show format. Daryl talks about the Often Overlooked gekiga mainstay Golgo 13 and gets made fun of by shut from 4chan, Gerald reviews Cannon God Exaxxion, and we offer a sample of the upcoming Katsucon and Megacon interview segments.
Introduction (0:00 – 23:01)
Listener email reveals that we were totally wrong about Transformers last week, among other things. Per your requests, we give our thoughts on G Gundam, Lensman (the DUB!), Harmagedon (the DUB…ABSOLUTE ZERO [NOW]!), Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Plus, Daryl reveals THE SHOCKING HIDDEN TRUTH behind Gravitation and how none of us can pronounce “yaoi” right! It must be because Daryl has the Ultimate Eye.
- Red vs Blue, as if you didn’t know; they’ve got shirts at Hot Topic for crying out loud
- MAHQ, a good resource site that’s also where all the TRUE GUNDAM FANS hang out
- Wikipedia entry on Lensman (basically defined the entire genre of science fiction)
- Teen Geek Podcast (sorry we couldn’t read your email since Gmail was down!)
- Wikipedia entry on Masamune Shirow (another scam artist who’s got the world fooled)
- Otaku Generation episode where Orion is reviewed (took Dan 3 months to endure through it)
- List of the dubs that ZRO Limit Productions worked on
Let’s News! (23:01 – 29:50)
As proof of how untimely podcasts are for getting news, we get around to mentioning how the hentai title Discipline got a DVD release that’s as comedically entertaining as its ad copy, ADV licenses the original Area 88 OAVs (as discussed in Show #4), and Daryl uses the Ultimate Eye to deduce that the odd handling of Prefectural Earth Defense Force is all just another manufactured controversy designed to get the crazed otaku–that’s us, by the way–angry in an attempt to raise awareness of the title, just like Ghost Stories was (as discussed in Show # 1). And if you want to be on the show, we give you the chance to show us how good a voice actor you are! Listen to find out how!
- Robert’s Anime Corner Store (the only other place to buy PEDF other than the ADV site)
- JPG email from Golgo 13 regarding that Canadian “anime = pornography” thing that got rescinded (Golgo 13 always knows when people are trying to do stories on him; clearly this must be our one warning before he kills us)
Often Overlooked: The Professional: Golgo 13 (29:50 – 50:53)
Daryl pulls your triggers lovingly and softly using the pulsating holster OF LOVE as he regales us all with the history of one of the most enduring characters in gekiga (“dramatic comics”), Golgo 13 “the man with the custom M-16,” created by Takao Saito. This was supposed to just be about the theatrical animated feature, but ends up being about how Golgo 13 truly is the Japanese equivalent of a Jack Chick tract.
- Official website of Jack Chick (includes Japanese editions, so help us)
- Toastyfrog’s Golgo 13: Perfect Machine of Snipe — Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 (writeups on the out-of-print Saito Productions English releases of Golgo 13, including pictures; hurry before it’s taken down like how “Chuchu Died For Your Sins” isn’t there anymore)
- Duke Togo: A Retrospective of the Localized Golgo 13 in America — Part 1, Part 2 (excellent article which is so near identical to what Daryl said that it’s not even funny; Daryl would like everyone to know that he never heard of this site or Toastyfrog’s writeup until it was time to do these show notes and that he didn’t plagiarize from either)
- Scans Gerald made from the first story in the Viz release — 1 2 3 4 (he notes the art is better in the second story)
Special Bonus Feedback: shut from 4chan Respects Daryl Highly (50:53 – 56:06)
We forgot to read this message in the beginning since it wasn’t sent directly to us, but FYAD All Star and 4chan sensation shut exposes us for the snob elite indy band hipsterites we are. We hem and haw in an attempt to justify our existences, failing miserably but learning a valuable lesson in the process. We bet this is all because Daryl still can’t find where he put that AMV CDR that W.T. Snacks gave him two years ago.
Review (manga): Cannon God Exaxxion (56:06 – 1:08:11)
Gerald tells us all about Kenichi Sonoda’s current manga series being published in America by Dark Horse that nobody else seems to really be talking about. I guess that’s why we’re talking about it, though Daryl and Clarissa aren’t quite sure what makes this one NOT as utterly generic as it sounds, since the plot is “guy is surrounded by harem of women and pilots robot against aliens.” Listen and judge for yourself.
- Gerald’s Exaxxion pictures — 1 2
- The long-gone EX.org’s writeup on Exaxxion
- Riding Bean (which along with Gunsmith Cats is probably what Sonoda does best)
- The best Gall Force site on the Internet (actually it’s Gerald’s and it hasn’t been updated in forever)
Special Bonus #2: Katsucon Report Preview (1:08:11 – 1:20:48)
Man, this episode is going to be like an hour and a half long because of this, and we just got an email saying “stop making the episodes over 80 minutes for the sake of the people who burn them as CD audio), but as a preview for the upcoming weeks, Daryl has decided to share with everyone one of the HOURS AND HOURS of interviews he conducted while he was off at Katsucon 12 in search of the hidden secrets of the universe, and by that he means interviewing people he deemed “worthy of the Internet.” This one interview went like 10 minutes; for next week, Daryl will have to figure out if he can somehow fit in all the high points within about 15 minutes or so. And on top of that, he did interviews at Megacon this past weekend as well. Don’t worry, those are forthcoming too.
- Picture of the pros being interviewed (Piv’s on the right; BTW, I was wrong about Masamune Shirow not counting, since he did in fact direct the Black Magic M-66 OAV)
- The AnimeMusicVideos.Org page for David Violence
Closing (1:20:48 – 1:22:58)
Somehow, the shows keep getting longer and longer despite Daryl’s feeble attempts to keep things at about an hour’s length. We’ve heard plenty of people saying that the length isn’t an issue, but be honest: if you think the show is too long (or if you start listening to episodes but stop before they’re done), we want to hear from you too! Next time, Clarissa reviews the manga Homunculus (though she is not certain whether or not it contains the Ultimate Eye), Gerald talks about a favorite of his, the Often Overlooked Lensman (the DUB), and Daryl kicks off his quest for THE TRUTH and THE AMERICAN DREAM (no, not Ron Killings and Dusty Rhodes) as he interviews YOU, the anime convention-attending populace at large! Be ready for lots more pictures of really cool people! ABSOLUTE ZERO, NOW!