Podcast: Download (Duration: 2:01:56 — 55.8MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
To celebrate roughly nine years of this podcast existing, Gerald has decided to do this episode in the style of a podcast he ACTUALLY enjoys: Atomic Trivia War 9000, which Daryl’s 2011 guest appearance on went so disastrously that neither Gerald nor Clarissa could muster the bravery to send them a Tweet saying “hey, can WE be on too since we’re well-rounded people who know how to bake?” in the three years since out of fear of rejection. Gerald’s got the questions, and perhaps we have the answers. Joining us for this episode is Paul “White Daryl” Chapman from Otaku USA Magazine and The Greatest Movie EVER! podcast.
Introduction (0:00 – 30:17)
It takes us about 11 minutes to get all these shills out of the way regarding other stuff we’re doing:
- Two Bad Dudes Gaming, the Youtube videogaming channel which Gerald contributes to. If you want to see and hear Gerald scream in a high-pitched manner, be sure to watch the video of him playing Five Nights at Freddy’s.
- Manga Cross-Stitch, by Helen McCarthy
- The free Otaku USA Magazine anime PDF guide, consisting of articles from Daryl, Paul, and various other past AWO guests such as Tim Eldred, Mike Dent, Evan Minto, Erin Finnegan, and so on. If you like it, consider subscribing either in print or digitally (Kindle, iOS, Android, etc).
- DB30Years, a free PDF zine created in celebration of the 30th anniversary of Dragon Ball featuring a contribution from Daryl
- Colony Drop is also working on another fanzine, this time entirely about Mobile Police Patlabor, which hopefully Daryl will actually have a finished and usable article for when it (hopefully) comes out in the next few months
- Lupin the Third: Napoleon’s Dictionary, an upcoming Discotek/Eastern Star release featuring a commentary track with Anime News Network’s Mike Toole as well as Daryl
- GME Anime Fun Time is Paul’s monthly anime podcast which often features someone from AWO on as a guest
- PSP-TV’s Channel OF DOOM! is two hours of Japanese and independent pro wrestling matches selected by Daryl every week. The playlist switches over Wednesday at 8 PM, though it stays up in rotation for the entire 7 days.
We finally get around to answering an email at around the 11:15 mark. IS ANIME OVER? The latest Astro Boy is going to be a Japan/France co-production, after all. Nothing can stop Shadow Rollins. IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD? [Captain Harlock’s mouth hangs agape. Pink Floyd plays in background. Freeze frame.] And isn’t the only good Lupin the Third the parts Hayao Miyazaki made, because Hayao Miyazaki is without peer and everybody sucks except him, per what is suggested in his book essays and The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness?
Anime Trivia War Over 9000 (30:17 – 2:01:56)
Gerald, in conjunction with his Twitter followers, has assembled a series of questions to ask Daryl, Clarissa, and Paul. Score is kept such that the victor is to receive a prize in keeping with the true spirit of competition and uh, Christmas. For the record: the prize promised to the victor was never given. The scoring may also have been Clive Anderson’d. Marvel at what we know, and scream at your podcast player over what we don’t.