Fine, so we’re late this week. In our letters section we talk about anime fans outside of the US, then Gerald discusses the Often Overlooked Lensman (the DUB), Clarissa reviews the manga Homunculus, and Daryl’s search for THE TRUTH kicks off with Part 1 of his Katsucon experience. If you don’t normally read the show notes, now is the time to start.
Introduction (0:00 – 33:52)
We’ve got a Frappr map now, so be sure to go there and leave your comments while also voting on who is the best. Daryl was hoping that the votes would be even with him and Clarissa each having 50% and Gerald having 0%, but that’s not how things ended up. Listener email clarifies us on matters we didn’t quite get correct about Naruto and Serial Experiments Lain, then we get a brief idea of what it’s like being an anime fan outside of America as well as a possible reason for why US fans don’t seem to care about older anime titles the way the Japanese fans do. Plus, the differences between the Gravitation manga and anime and much more! SEND IN MORE READINGS OF THE DISCIPLINE AD COPY, DAMN YOU!
- Jan Scott-Frazier — obscenely intelligent, but don’t let her take LSD then try to shave her legs ever again
- Screenshot of the alternate ending to Lain as taken from the PSX game
- Thought Experiments Lain — a Serial Experiments Lain information site
- Kishimoto Fan Club — Naruto news, pictures, and lots more
- Sakura-Con — wait, Ippongi Bang is still alive?!
- Otaku Generation podcast — this week they talk about anime stuff more than usual!
- The full text of the Discipline ad copy which you should dramatically interpret and send in to us so we can play it (NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR CHILDREN)
Often Overlooked: Lensman (the DUB!) (33:52 – 49:13)
Gerald waxes poetic over this out-of-print 1980s anime adaptation of E.E. “Doc” Smith’s genre-defining science fiction tale. Find out the secret connection between this, Clarissa, and Ninja Scroll!
Review (manga): Homunculus (49:13 – 1:02:28)
Clarissa brings us this overview of yet another masterpiece by Hideo Yamamoto, author of Ichi the Killer, among other things. This title is about this guy who’s a lot like this person who’s a friend of Daryl’s. We’d have him on the show except for the fact that he’s too much like the main character in this manga. Don’t let the name fool you: the Ultimate Eye isn’t quite the same thing here.
- Anime News Network entry for Homunculus
- Wikipedia entry on homunculi
- Wikipedia entry on trepanation
- Interview with some guy who actually went through with trepanation (includes photos, so another NWS link)
- Salon article on trepanation
- Quackwatch article on trepanation
- R5 Central podcast — this guy’s editing talent puts us to SHAME; check out his review of the original Lupin the Third TV series
- Anime Pulse podcast — they said everything we were going to say about that 4Kids script writer interview
The Search for THE TRUTH — Katsucon 12, Part 1 (1:02:28 – 1:18:03)
Daryl embarks on his quest to save his soul and somehow escape the fate which he has been struggling so hard to overcome to no avail. He’s going to do this by finding the most Internet-worthy of anime convention attendees, then interviewing them and posting pictures of them, all the while impersonating a radio news correspondent. Man, it’s no wonder Rob Landtz voted for Clarissa over him on the Frappr map even after having met him!
- Feed link for Hot Tears of Shame, the new podcast about Patrick Macias and his journeys through the Mysterian Dome
- GeekNights podcast — there’s actually four separate feeds for this; this is the anime one
- Usagichan Company Search and Rescue — cosplay photos galore courtesy of Secret Agent Linus Lam
- Daryl’s Katsucon roommates in their Team Zissou attire (pic 1 pic 2)
- Chuck Shandry — visit the archives at Wild Violet to read his interviews with voice actors such as George Manley
- Leeroy Jenkins — on one hand, this guy liked Go Nagai; on the other hand, there are legions of people who think running around screaming LEEROY JENKINS is funny
- A guy in cat ears and a cat tail — Clarissa and Gerald would just like to say that Daryl is the most horrible person they know for making fun of this person; Daryl would like to say that the guy was wearing cat ears and a cat tail for crying out loud, and as such is not willing to give the guy a hand (or two)
- Just Say No to furries at anime conventions even if they fondly remember watching Jack and the Witch in their childhood (plus the reason why this interview took a surprise turn, and if you find that arousing then we just can’t be friends)
- The most dedicated and oldschool otaku at the convention
- The NUMBAR ONE COSPLAYAR and self-proclaimed least dedicated otaku at the convention (IRONY)
- THE TRUTH in its purest and most concentrated form (Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3)
Closing (1:18:03 – 1:20:05)
Something tells us that we aren’t going to adhere to this next episode preview much, but Clarissa promises a review of Gravitation, Gerald will talk about the Often Overlooked fansub title Zipang, and Daryl’s search for THE TRUTH at Katsucon will continue, just as soon as he reconstitutes his sanity and composure by rereading Volume 1 of Crying Freeman by Kazuo Koike, available now in unflipped format from Dark Horse Comics! Go and buy it now along with Cromartie High School Volume 5!