In this episode, Clarissa SPEAKS~! about her favorite things: gay porn and horror. After a slew of yaoi manga recommendations that gay men might potentially like, she reviews the anime mystery/horror (comedy…?) series Another.
You can watch legal streams of Brother Dear Brother courtesy of this page on Viki.
Introduction (0:00 – 39:32)
Gerald and Clarissa were guests on The Greatest Movie EVER! podcast to talk about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 2. The most recent OSMCast! that Daryl recorded…back in February…is still not out yet!
Yaoi manga mentioned:
- Est Em’s Seduce Me After the Show, Red Blinds the Foolish, and Age Called Blue
- Shiuko Kano works, for example Tough Love Baby and I’m Not Your Steppin’ Stone
- Ogasawara Uki’s Black Sun
- Miyamoto Kano’s works, for example Say Please or Two of Hearts (hopefully Not/Love will come out)
- Fusanosuke Inariya’s Maiden Rose
- Sadahiro Mika’s Under Grand Hotel and Pathos
- Motoni Modoru’s Dog Style (my favorite is her Koi ga Bokura wo Yurusu Hani but it hasn’t gotten an official release, and her also unlicensed Shiiku Gakari Rika aka Rika the Breeder is one of the most spectacularly, beautifully messed up manga I’ve read)
- Naono Bohra’s works, like Yokai’s Hunger or Three Wolves Mountain
- Kodaka Kazuma’s Bad Teacher’s Equation
Review: Another (39:22 – 1:29:07)
You can read Freud’s “The Uncanny” (1919) here.
Julia Kristeva’s The Powers of Horror discusses the concept of abjection, and there seems to be an accessible copy here.
Other theorists whose ideas I touched on but did not mention:
- Judith Halberstam’s Skin Shows: Gothic Horror and The Technology of Monsters (1995) [Amazon]
- Kelly Hurley’s The Gothic Body: Sexuality, Materialism, and Degeneration at the Fin de Siecle (1997) [Amazon]